What started off as a medical discovery has grown to become potentially the great disrupter to healthcare since penicillin was introduced in the early 19th Century.
Cannabidiol (cann-a-bi-dol) or CBD as it's known (if you're in the know) is a compound found in cannabis plants that have immense medical benefits and is being increasingly used to reduce pain, anxiety, and loss of sleep. There are 113 varieties of cannabinoids found in cannabis and CBD is only one of them.
CBD is now used frequently for the treatment of different ailments and this, coupled with the speed with which marijuana is being legalized for medicinal use, has driven the growth of the industry globally.
What's driving this market growth?
It's being fueled by the legislative drive to legalise Hemp. Hemp produces first-class medicinal CBD and the recent Hemp Farming Bill of 2018 by US Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell aims at federal legalization of Hemp and its removal from the list of controlled substances. This move will act as a boon for the Hemp industry as it will bring hemp under the definition and classification of an agricultural commodity and will allow the farmers to gain access to farmer's water & agricultural. Moreover, it will also bring Hemp production under the preview of the banking system, and, of course, will allow for far greater access to the cannabis plant for further R&D to develop new CBD based medicines.
So what is used for?
- Pain Relief: Marijuana has been used since 2900 B.C. as a pain reliever and scientists have now discovered that certain compounds found within the cannabis plant, including CBD, plays the main role in reducing pain and acting as the pain reliever. After undergoing in-depth research it has been found that CBD binds with the endocannabinoid receptor in our body and helps in reducing pain and inflammation.
- Reduce Anxiety and Depression: Anxiety and Depression have become one of the most serious issues worldwide and can have a significant impact on our health and wellbeing. Pharmaceutical drugs used in the treatment may have several side effects. However, CBD oil has been effective in the treatment of anxiety and depression. It is a natural approach without using and drugs and has proved extremely useful in the treatment of insomnia, anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Aid in Cancer Treatment: Research has shown that CBD can be helpful in cancer treatment by reducing the most common side effects of chemotherapy like pain, nausea, and vomiting. Studies showed that people suffering from cancer experienced significantly lower amounts of pain as compared to traditional pain relievers. Further, some studies also showed that CBD may possess anti-cancer properties and has been shown to be effective by killing the cancer cells in patients suffering from breast cancer.
- Treatment of Neurological Disorders: CBD has been extremely effective in the treatment of several neurological disorders. A study conducted by Stanford University showed that patients undergoing CBD treatment showed a significant reduction of seizure frequency. GW Pharmaceuticals recently had their childhood epilepsy drug, Epidiolex, approved by the FDA. The first time a cannabis-based drug has been FDA approved
The booming extracts market
The fasted growing area of the fastest growing industry is extracts. CBD branded products include oils,edibles, topical creams to name only a few. By 2020, this market segment accounts for over 80% of the market with actual weed flower accounting for less than 20%.
With the increasing acceptance and positive effects of CBD being demonstrated, it is now being used in several products, including some of the below:
- Moisturizers: CBD is extremely beneficial for your skin and is being used in moisturizers in order to make skin smoother and more beautiful. It moisturizes the skin, keeps it healthy and doesn't clog the skin pores. It also has anti-inflammatory properties and contains many anti-oxidants.
- Face & Body Wash: CBD has been increasingly used in skincare products such as body and face wash. It clears the skin from within and brings back the natural glow and fair tone.
- CBD Vaporizer Cartridge: The most ideal product for people who like to consume CBD but do not want to smoke it (for the obvious health reasons). This product is really affordable and uses CBD isolate in place of CBD oil which makes it more effective.
- CBD Shampoo: CBD is not only beneficial for the skin but also extremely useful for the hair. It contains the perfect combination of essential oils to keep the scalp healthy and moisturized.
And finally, Epidiolex
Epidiolex which is the first-ever marijuana-derived drug to be recognized and approved by FDA is used for the treatment of seizures in children suffering from the rarest and most horrific forms of epilepsy, namely the Lennox-Gastaut, and Dravet syndrome. Children that were having 30-40 seizures a day are now living seizure-free thanks to the drug. It is a game-changing for the perception of medicinal marijuana and for the efficacy based results of the effects of CBD for various illnesses.
& Keep Up to Date
Get the latest pot stock recommendations, cannabis news
and industry updates straight to your inbox!