Cresco Labs, The Largest Wholesaler of Branded Cannabis Products, Announced Accelerating Revenue and Increasing Operating Leverage in Record Second Quarter 2020 Results.
Cresco Labs Inc. (CSE: CL), one of the largest vertically integrated multi-state cannabis operators in the United States, today released its unaudited financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2020. All financial information presented in this release is in U.S. dollars, unless otherwise noted.
"While Q2 continued to be about building, scaling and refining our operations in the largest and most important cannabis markets in the U.S., we are also beginning to see the fruits of our labor come to bear," said Charles Bachtell, Co-founder and CEO of Cresco Labs. "We grew revenue in every single one of our U.S. markets sequentially by more than 30%, with the exception of Massachusetts, where adult use was halted for part of the quarter. Cresco Labs is the largest wholesaler of branded cannabis products with nearly $55 million in revenue and our Sunnyside* retail strategy is outperforming with $39 million generated from our 17 locations."
We are accelerating growth and beginning to generate substantial leverage as we scale our operations and benefit from the investments we've made over the past 12 monthsCharles Bachtell, Co-founder and CEO of Cresco Labs
Second Quarter 2020 Financial Highlights
- Revenue for the second quarter of 2020 was $94.3 million, an absolute increase of nearly $28 million or a 42% increase over Q1'20 revenue. Revenue increased sequentially by more than 30% in every U.S. market, with the exception of Massachusetts. Wholesale growth was driven by product popularity in California and first harvests from expanded capacity in Illinois and Pennsylvania. Retail growth was driven by strong sequential same-store growth of 31% and two new store openings in Illinois.
- Operational Gross Profit1 as a Percentage of Revenue was 47% in the quarter as compared to 48% in the prior quarter. Operating costs associated with the expansion of the Company's cultivation centers in PA and IL in Q4'19 and Q1'20 were associated with Q2 products sales, impacting the Company's cost of products sold for the quarter.
- SG&A was $45.2million, a reduction of $1.5 million from Q1. SG&A included $5.2 million in non-core costs associated with the integration of Origin House and the termination of the Tryke transaction, $0.8 million in COVID-19 related expenses, and $6.7 million in share-based compensation. Excluding these non-core and non-cash items, SG&A would have been $32.5 million or 35% of revenue.
- Adjusted EBITDA was $16.5million, an increase of 419% sequentially. This was achieved while integrating Origin House during the quarter, and was driven primarily from higher revenues and increased operational gross profit in Illinois and Pennsylvania.
- Net Loss was $4.7 million, which includes unrealised gains and losses on mark-to-market instruments that fluctuate until obligations are settled, changes in fair value of biological assets, interest expense and tax expense.
- Net Cash Used in Operating Activities was $9.9 million, compared to $40.1 million used in Q1. The improvement in cash used in operating activities was driven by increased operating leverage across the business as the Company scales.
Total shares on a fully converted basis were 377,691,701 as of June 30, 2020.
Consolidated Financial Statements
The financial information reported in this news release is based on unaudited management prepared financial statements for the three months ended June 30, 2020. The Company expects to file its unaudited interim consolidated financial statements on SEDAR by August 20, 2020. Accordingly, such financial information may be subject to change. All financial information contained in this news release is qualified in its entirety with reference to such financial statements. While the Company does not expect there to be any material changes, to the extent that the financial information contained in this news release is inconsistent with the information contained in the Company's financial statements, the financial information contained in this news release shall be deemed to be modified or superseded by the Company's financial statements. The making of a modifying or superseding statement shall not be deemed an admission for any purposes that the modified or superseded statement, when made, constituted a misrepresentation for purposes of applicable securities laws. Further, the reader should refer to the additional disclosures in the Company's audited financial statements for the year ended December 31, 2019, previously filed on SEDAR.
To learn more about Cresco Labs, visit their company HQ here.
Disclaimer: Past performance is not an indicator of future performance.
Get the Latest Marijuana News &
Content in your Inbox!
All your support helps The Green Fund keep writing content for all you
marijuana enthusiasts and potential pot stock investors