AusCann is an Australian based company that was incorporated in September 2014 with the aim of producing and providing high quality, economical and clinically validated cannabinoid medicines to patients.
It is bringing together leading expertise and operations across all aspects of the medical cannabis value chain, beginning with cultivation and production, through to manufacture and distribution of products and has built a strong team of experts and partners with international connections.
Partners includes TSX listed Canopy Growth Corporation, the largest producer of medicinal cannabis in North America, DayaCann, the only licensed medicinal cannabis grower in Chile and Tasmanian Alkaloids, producer of ~40% of the world’s opiates.
AusCann is listed on the Australian Securities Exchange under the ticker “AC8”.
Delivering high quality, cost effective
medicinal cannabis treatments to
DISCLAIMER AND IMPORTANT NOTICE
This presentation has been prepared by AusCann Group Holdings Ltd ACN 008 095 207 (“Company”). It does not purport to contain all the information that a prospective investor may require in connection with any potential investment in the Company. You should not treat the contents of this presentation, or any information provided in connection with it, as financial advice, financial product advice or advice relating to legal, taxation or investment matters.
No representation or warranty (whether express or implied) is made by the Company or any of its officers, advisers, agents or employees as to the accuracy, completeness or reasonableness of the information, statements, opinions or matters (express or implied) arising out of, contained in or derived from this presentation or provided in connection with it, or any omission from this presentation, nor as to the attainability of any estimates, forecasts or projections set out in this presentation.
This presentation is provided expressly on the basis that you will carry out your own independent inquiries into the matters contained in the presentation and make your own independent decisions about the affairs, financial position or prospects of the Company. The Company reserves the right to update, amend or supplement the information at any time in its absolute discretion (without incurring any obligation to do so).
Neither the Company, nor their respective related bodies corporate, officers, their advisers, agents and employees accept any responsibility or liability to you or to any other person or entity arising out of this presentation including pursuant to the general law (whether for negligence, under statute or otherwise), or under the Australian Securities and Investments Commission Act 2001, Corporations Act 2001, Competition and Consumer Act 2010 or any corresponding provision of any Australian state or territory legislation (or the law of any similar legislation in any other jurisdiction), or similar provision under any applicable law. Any such responsibility or liability is, to the maximum extent permitted by law, expressly disclaimed and excluded.
Nothing in this material should be construed as either an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell securities. It does not include all available information and should not be used in isolation as a basis to invest in the Company.
This presentation contains reference to certain intentions, expectations, future plans, strategy and prospects of the Company.
Those intentions, expectations, future plans, strategy and prospects may or may not be achieved. They are based on certain assumptions, which may not be met or on which views may differ and may be affected by known and unknown risks. The performance and operations of the Company may be influenced by a number of factors, many of which are outside the control of the Company. No representation or warranty, express or implied, is made by the Company, or any of their respective directors, officers, employees, advisers or agents that any intentions, expectations or plans will be achieved either totally or partially or that any particular rate of return will be achieved.
Given the risks and uncertainties that may cause the Company actual future results, performance or achievements to be materially different from those expected, planned or intended, recipients should not place undue reliance on these intentions, expectations, future plans, strategy and prospects. The Company warrants or represents that the actual results, performance or achievements will be as expected, planned or intended.
- $5 million on listing – February 2017
- $12 million Placement – May 2017
ASX listed companies developing cannabis products
Of the ASX listed companies, only AusCann and Cann Group are currently, actively developing domestic operations in Australia
FULLY INTEGRATED MODEL
AusCann is the only listed company that is integrated across the full spectrum of the Australian medicinal cannabis supply chain
In the immediate term AusCann will source and supply cannabinoid medicines to Australian patients from it’s Canadian strategic partner Canopy Growth.
AusCann manufacturing is also well positioned to supply Australian patients and future export potential.
AUSTRALIAN LICENCE PROGRESS
SENIOR MANAGEMENT TEAM
KEY STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIPS
Strategic partnership leveraging Canopy’s expertise in the cultivation, manufacturing, importation and exportation of cannabinoid medicines.
- TSX listed Canopy Growth Corporation is the largest producer of medicinal cannabis in North America.
- Over 63,000 patients as at September 2017 cf 24,000 at September 2016.
- Largest shareholder in AusCann ~11% of the Company’s shares.
- Exclusive access to certified Canopy medicines in Australia.
Exclusive strategic partnership for joint cultivation, manufacture and distribution of cannabinoid medicines.
- Tasmanian Alkaloids is an established manufacturer of alkaloid raw materials. Operating since 1976, TasAlk produces approximately 40% of the world’s opiate crop in Tasmania.
- TGA licensed manufacturing facility which is fully compliant with Good Manufacturing Practice standards.
- Established relationships with many of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies.
FUNDACIÓN DAYA – CHILEAN JV - DAYACANN
- 30-hectare facility south of Santiago
- Over 400kgs harvested in April 2017
- Second grow licence granted November 2017
- To be processed into cannabinoid medicines selected for clinical trials for registration in Chile, and sale to third parties
Favourable Regulatory Framework in Chile
- Chile provides an internationally well regarded framework supporting the entire production chain from cultivation, processing, formulation, trials, research and registration.
- Supply to Chilean patients and export of products allowed once registered.
MEDICAL OUTREACH PROGRAM AND DISTRIBUTION
We believe that Australian healthcare practitioners should have the opportunity to learn about cannabinoid medicines from a medical and patient perspective, to assist informed decision making, and to respond to queries raised by patients who are becoming increasingly aware of cannabis-based treatments.
- Medical Liaison Managers
- Face to face and online educational seminars
- Accredited online courses to be launched soon
- Ongoing mentoring program for prescribing AusCann medicines
- Educational material available through the AusCann online physician portal
AUSCANN MEDICAL ADVISOR - DR. DANIAL SCHECTER
- Co-founder and medical director of the Canadian Cannabinoid Medical Clinic (CMClinic)
- Recognized medical expert in the field of prescription cannabinoids and medical cannabis, Dr. Schecter has given numerous presentations to fellow physicians and developed educational programs on this subject.
- Spearheaded the creation of the Patient Handbook on Medical Cannabis used by many Canadian physicians as a patient education tool and has evaluated thousands of patients to decide if cannabinoid medicines are appropriate for them.
Canada has allowed the use of cannabinoid medicines since 2001. A clear access system for the prescription of cannabinoid medicines by Canadian physicians was established in March 2014.
MEDICAL OUTREACH PROGRAM AND DISTRIBUTION
Our 3 Medical Liaison Managers (MLMs) work closely alongside the our Chief Medical Advisor and are responsible for leading engagement programs in their regions, expanding relationships and providing guidance and information to key medical practitioners.
Our MLMs have:
- impressive resumes and track records as representatives of medications governed by the TGA;
- represented some of the most prevalent pain medicines and have worked with some of the country’s leading pain specialists;
- a combined nearly 50 years of experience in the health sector; and
- worked in senior liaison roles with some of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies including MundiPharma, Phebra, Sanofi, Astra Zeneca and Novartis.
AusCann’s medicines targeting chronic pain to be released early 2018 in Australia
TARGETING CHRONIC AND NEUROPATHIC PAIN
- 2017 US NAS Report ‘strong and conclusive evidence’ for treatment of chronic pain in adults
- Canadian study showed chronic pain patients had no greater risk than non-users to experience serious adverse events
- Opiate sparing effects:
- Opioid overdose mortality rates reported to be 24.8% lower in US states with medical cannabis laws
- Significant reduction in opioid use – 44% to 65% reduction cited
- Cannabinoids and opioids share several pharmacologic properties and may act synergistically
TGA Clinical Study Reviews
- Conducted by team from U NSW, U Sydney, U QLD and collaborators
- Non-cancer pain – 102 trials of all types of study designs considered
- Patients who had cannabinoids for non-MS related neuropathic pain were more likely to experience a 50% reduction in pain and a reduction in pain scores
A$5 billion market in Australia alone
WHAT IS DRIVING THE SECTOR?
1. RESEARCH ON
2017 Report by the American National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine that found there is strong and conclusive evidence for medical cannabis as an effective medication in conditions including chronic pain, chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting and multiple sclerosis spasticity symptoms.
Legalisation of medicinal use in Australia and in countries around the world including Canada, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Austria, France, Germany, Israel, Italy, the Netherlands, 29 states of the US, Czech Republic, North Korea, Spain, Turkey and more.
Increasing number of advocacy groups and lobby groups are being established nationally in addition to the growing individual patient demand.
1. RESEARCH AND STUDIES - MEDICINAL BENEFITS
10,000 international studies reviewed to assess the use of medical cannabis as a therapeutic treatment.
The 2017 report by the American National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine found there is strong and conclusive evidence for medical cannabis as an effective medication for:
- chronic pain in adults,
- chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting and
- multiple sclerosis spasticity symptoms
In 2015, Barry and Joy Lambert made an unprecedented donation of AUD$33.7 million to the University of Sydney for research into the therapeutic use of medicinal cannabis
2. REGULATORY ENVIRONMENT
AusCann is at the forefront of the change in the sector and well positioned to navigate the complex landscape
3. GROWING ADVOCACY AND PATIENT DEMAND
- In 2015 91% of Australians believed the use of cannabis for medicinal purposes should be made legal.
- 2015 survey2 of Australian chronic non-cancer pain patients:
- 16% used cannabis illicitly despite being prescribed opioids for symptom relief.
- This compared to only 4.7% of the rest of the population.
- 24% reported that if they had access to cannabis, they would use it for pain relief.
- 15% of Australian adults with epilepsy and 13% of parents/guardians of children with epilepsy were currently using, or had previously used, cannabis products to treat epilepsy.
- 2016 online survey of 1700 Australians using cannabis, 1/3 use cannabis for pain.
MODELLING FUTURE IN AUSTRALIA - EXPONENTIAL GROWTH IN CANADA
108% sales growth in Canada over a 12 month period (April 2016 – March 2017)
Total annualised revenue of ~CA$320 million
- Patient numbers increasing 10% every month.
- Over 201,398 registered patients as at 30 June 2017.
- Estimated by 2021 the number of patients using medicinal cannabis will grow to 500,000.
KEY MILESTONES THIS YEAR
KEY MILESTONES PROJECTED FOR 2018
- Fully integrated pharmaceutical cannabinoid company
- Strong strategic partnerships and experienced production team place AusCann at the forefront of the industry –
- access to established pharmaceutical products
- established GMP facility
- Well funded and on track with licensing to commence Australian cultivation and manufacturing cannabinoid products in 2018
- Focused on and equipped to address major market need – chronic pain
- Supplier of choice – Medical Outreach Program
- Supply of Canopy cannabinoid medicines to Australian patients and revenue in 2018